My super awesome sister-in-law Brittany is sharing an Apple Scone recipe with us! She's a really talented baker/cook and is currently in school for dietetics. I love when she bakes goodies for us all and this one is so festive and delicious. Want to make them yourself? Here's how...
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup cinnamon chips or butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) cold butter
- 2 medium chopped fresh apple, in 1/2" pieces (about half a medium apple); leave the skin on, if you like
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened preferred
- 1 teaspoon Apple Pie Spice or ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coarse white sparkling sugar
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1) Whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, and spice.
2) Work in the butter until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.
3) Stir in the apple and cinnamon chips or butterscotch chips
4) In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and applesauce.
5) Add all of your liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir evenly.
6) Scrape the dough onto floured parchment or pan, and divide it in half. Pat and round each half into a 5" circles about 3/4" thick.
7) For your topping, begin stirring together the coarse sugar and cinnamon. Brush each scone with milk, and sprinkle with the topping.
8) Slice each circle into 6 wedges. Pull the wedges away from the center to separate them just a bit.
9) Place the pan of scones in the freezer for 30 minutes, uncovered. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
10) Bake the scones for 18 to 22 minutes, or until golden brown.
You're done! Best served warm.
Makes: 12 scones
Thanks for making these yummy scones Brittany and for guest posting today. Let me know if you decide to try them too!
P.S. Our winner has been announced!a Rafflecopter giveaway